Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Too Good Not to Share!

So many people have been so good to us over the last month to fix and bring meals to us. I love to try new things and I thought I would share some with you. It seems that I'm always cooking the same things, so it's nice to have something different every once in a while.

Apple Pie

3-4 Gala or Braeburn Apples, sliced & peeled
1 can Musselman's Apple pie filling (at Dollar General)
1 pie crust (Wal-Mart brand is best) there is 2 in a pkg.

Put apples in pie plate (in crust of course)
Put pie filling over top of apple slices

Mix:
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon (the better the cinnamon the better the flavor)
Spoon over apples
Splash 4 tsp of lemon juice over top
Put 2nd pie crust on top

On top:
1 Tbsp. milk (spread over top with fingers)
Sprinkle with a little bit of a cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 40-50 minutes.
This apple pie was still warm when we cut into it. It was absolutely divine!


Chicken Enchiladas

3-5 chicken breasts (about 3 1/2 cups or so)
2 cans cream of chicken
1 pint sour cream
4 cups shredded cheese (Fiesta blend)
1 can green chilies (4 oz.)
1 can black olives, sliced
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 pkgs. flour tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce

Mix the 1st 7 things and put in tortilla (down the center) and roll. Put in 9x13 pan. Spread enchilada sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil & bake at 350 for 45 min. Uncover for last 5 min. It makes alot! Freeze some if you want to. You can spread it past the 20 tortillas too.

These delicious dishes were prepared for us by Ashley Jones. Thanks Ashley!

**Shonna, I would love to know the sauce you used on your pork chops if you get a chance to post that or you can email me. We loved it! Also, what kind of brown rice did you use?

6 comments:

Beth said...

All that food is making me hungry...AGAIN! I would love to cook all those yummy dishes but my husband's menu consists of about 5 things! Talk about getting tired of the same old thing! I will have to keep these in mind for an occasion when he won't be partaking of the meal!!!

I have not read any Karen Kingsbury books but I would love to borrow one sometime!

The Clarks said...

I have the perfect one for you to start with; A Time to Dance. It's sooo good!
My fountain grass on the front porch came from Blue Goose, too, but I got that back in the Spring.

The Wilson's said...

Thanks, they both sound yummy-we will have to try them!

Ashley said...

Ashley Jones brought us those chicken enchilladas when Sawyer was born, and you're right-DIVINE!!! I didn't get the recipe though, but I'm going to put it on our menu for next week! Yummy! Thanks for sharing, Mendy!

Kristen said...

That Ashley Jones has got it going on!!! She's told me about that apple pie and I'm still waiting on one, but I've had those enchilada's and they are DIVINE!!!That is my kind of food!

jeff and rebecca said...

I don't know Ashley Jones but I am going to borrow her recipe. Those chicken enchilladas sound yummy. It also looks pretty easy. Thanks for sharing I am always looking for something fast and good. By the way, I got my precious picture of your boys and my photographer friend tried to steal it from me. She fell in love with it.