Thursday, October 9, 2008

Having a little campout....

Growing up, my family spent many weekends camping on the Conecuh River. No, we didn't have the luxury of a cabin out in the woods or even a camper. We roughed the wilderness in an 8-man family tent. We loved it!! I can still remember getting up in the mornings to the smell of breakfast cooking on our little Coleman stove. By the way, those were some of the best breakfasts I have ever had. I have so many wonderful memories of our days spent at the river.

So, saying all that, we've wanted to take Ty camping for awhile now, but being pregnant and having a baby just doesn't make for the best of camping conditions. So, we said, 'why not the backyard?' Ty was thrilled to hear of our plans to set up camp in the backyard. I don't think he could be any happier if we were setting up camp in the Smoky Mountains. Ben and Ty were in Wal-Mart earlier this week checking out all the camping gear and trying to figure out everything they would need for their campout. Ben informed us that we would go back to the store on Thursday night and buy whatever we needed then. I guess they were just scoping everything out on the first trip. So, today I began to question Ty on what he thought he would need for his campout. This is what he said:

Here is Ty's shopping list:

1. a green bowl to cook the weiners in

2. a tent

3. orange weiners - he later said "No, we need red weiners, very red weiners, like your shirt." (I had on a red PHS t-shirt)

4. Dr. Pepper & Pepsi

5. a sleeping bag, but I have that already

6. silly song CD to listen to (gotta have music, right?)em>

So we have our shopping list and we go to Wal-Mart. He finds everything he needs, along with a few extra items:) white powdered doughnuts and chips. We had to hurry and get out of that store before he found anything else to add to his collection. Now that everything is ready, we'll see how long the campers can handle being "out of the house."

As for Andrew and me, well, let's just say we'll be waiting in the house for the campers to return. It won't be long and we'll get to join them. I'll let you know how the "trip" turns out.


So much to choose from - how will we ever decide?


He thought he needed a coffee pot.



He reluctantly puts the coffee pot back on the shelf.


We had to go with blue bowls and cups since Wal-Mart doesn't carry green. The Ty-Man is loving his camping dishes! I wonder how many times these will actually get used??




9 comments:

Christy said...

It's such a great time of year to go camping. We've been talking about going camping sometime soon before it gets too cold, but we will actually be going in the Smoky Mountains! :)

Dave and Mandi said...

Ty is soo cute!! I hope he and Ben have a good camp out. We're taking the twins camping tonight at my parents pond. We'll see how that turns out!!

Beth said...

Mendy,
We did the SAME thing growing up! I was just telling John the other day that most of my favorite memories of "family vacations" were camping out somewhere. We slept in the tent and cooked over the campfire too! Brian and I would wander all through the woods and make bows and arrows and all kinds of fun stuff!! I can remember we would all pile in whatever car my parents had at the time, and make those trips to wherever and never think a thing about being cramed in there like sardines!! Now, we think we have to have nice big vehicles, campers, and all the luxuries! I think the "simple life" is just as fun and sometimes even better!!! I know Ty will love his "camping" trip in the back yard! Can't wait to hear the story!

Julie said...

Jeremy and I were just discussing the other day how we can't wait to take the boys camping one day!!! It is A LOT of FUN!!! I can't wait to hear the stories of the camping trip!!

The Wilson's said...

We love camping also!! It is alot of work but worth it. We went camping with the girls last year and roasted marshmallows and told stories by the campfire. Anna and Emily seemed to want the marshmallows straight out of the bag instead of roasted. Anna said I burned them!!
Tell Ben it is unbelievable to us also how the girls are growing up and getting prettier each day. We prayed for healthy children and God has blessed us with so much more!!
Yes, you reconize Cameron, Jason works with Brandi. Cameron's brother Taylor is getting so big, I couldn't believe how much he had grown. (Both of them!!)

Take care and good luck with camping!!

Ashley said...

I think Ty is one lucky boy to have you and Ben as his mama and daddy!! Y'all are so much fun!! (Walker & I still laugh about your sneaky-sneak stories!) I hope Ben & Ty have a great night out under the stars!!!

Christi said...

The weather is perfect for a camp-out! The last time I went camping was a couple of years ago in Helen, GA. That was fun! Your post makes me want to do it again soon!

Kristen said...

I'm deprived and have never even been camping (seeing as I am the "city girl" of the Carolina crew). Sounds like a ton of fun, though. Have fun Ben and Ty!

Christi said...

Oh, yeah! Tell Ben that I will look for that coke picture. I do have it somewhere. He's right-- he did deserve a coke for picking me up off the floor!! Also, thanks for the comment about the picture. I can't take credit for it though. I don't have an original thought in my head! I saw something similar on another photographers website and I just copied it! :)