Sunday, November 30, 2008

Winter Wonderland













I was a little apprehensive about our trip to the mountains with a 3 month old baby. I can't get over how well he did. I think all the prayers were heard because he was a little trooper throughout the whole trip. Our goal for Thursday night was to make it to Chattanooga to spend the night. Andrew slept from the time we buckeled him in his seat to the time Ben was getting the key for our room. He opened his little eyes as if to say, "Okay, I can wake up now, we're here." He was the best baby. He let us do whatever we wanted to do. We even braved the very cold temps and went to Dollywood on Sunday night. He stayed bundled up in his Snugli inside Ben's jacket and was much warmer than we were. Ty loved the 4D Polar Express ride at Dollywood. Even Ben and I thought it was pretty cool. His favorite, the Dollywood Express was shut down. He was one upset little boy. That may have been a good thing though, with it being so cold.

We did get to play in the snow for just a little while. Ty kept saying, "I want to throw a snowball at you, Mama." Well, he did, and when he did, he started crying because his hands were getting so cold. We were glad that didn't last long.

We went to Cade's Cove and saw the biggest buck we will ever probably see in our lives. We couldn't keep count of the deer and turkeys that we saw. We enjoyed it so much, we went back the next morning. Another day of lots of animals, even a wolf on the second day. And yes, I finally got to see some black bears. We saw a mama and her two cubs and the next day we saw another black bear. That was pretty awesome, too!

We always have to go to Apple Barn. We love seeing all the apples and Ty had to bring lots of apples back with him. The Dixie Stampede has a wonderful Christmas show. They do a real live nativity scene. If anyone is there during the Christmas season, it's definitely worth seeing.

This was the second year in a row that we've been and are hoping it's going to be a tradition for our family. Here are some of the pictures from the trip.

Too cold for Andrew!














The Polar Express Show



Ty taking his ticket from the conductor for the Polar Express ride





My little Eskimo Baby






10 comments:

Shonna said...

What fun!!! Glad that y'all had a good time and that Andrew was such a trooper, but especially that y'all had a safe trip!

Kristen said...

I felt like I was in the mountains looking at your pictures. So glad you all had so much fun. I'm praying for you today as you head back to school.

Lori said...

Great pictures! I love little boys all bundled up. Really cute! Glad you guys had such a good trip!!

Beth said...

Looks like fun! I'm glad Andrew did so well. He and Ty both look so cute bundled up so tight! The pictures are great!

The Wilson's said...

I love Gatlinburg- probally because that's where we were married and honeymooned! I am glad you all had a great time and made it home safely!

Heather said...

What a wonderfully fun time!!! I'm glad you got to see snow and had a safe trip. The boys are precious.

Julie said...

I thought about you today on your first day back. Jordan was glad to have you back, I'm sure.

I'm glad that y'all had a fun trip and that Andrew was content in his carseat. JP was 4 mo. when we took him to the mountains and he never gave us a bit of trouble during our travel.

P.S. Lori(Sansom)Foreman was with me in the mountains(both our families)when we spotted a bear while playing in the water at Cade's Cove. I believe that's where we were.

Christy said...

Looks like you had a great time. We were in Gatlinburg on Saturday. I kept my eye out for ya'll, but I knew it was a very slim chance I would actually see you. Next time ya'll are up our way, we should meet for dinner or you could come to our house for dinner and we could let the kids play together. I'm sure they would have a blast. We used to vacation here a lot. It seems a little odd to live here now, but we love it!

jeff and rebecca said...

Mendy, I am sooooooo jealous!!!!! I absolutely love snow and I wish we could have seen it too. Your pictures are out of this world!!! Some of them look like they should be on a post card! There is one picture of the baby that looks exactly like you! Glad you all had such a good time. You are so brave to take such an adventure with Andrew!!! It is good to hear that he did so well!

Ashley said...

LOVED THE PICTURES! I'm so glad y'all got to go and had a great time!