Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Operation Christmas Child


It's that time of year when everyone is buying their items for the Operation Christmas Child shoebox project. I decided to do my shopping Monday while Ty was at school. I figured it might be a little easier without someone behind me picking up every toy and wanting to know what it was and what it's supposed to do. I love Christmas shopping and I always enjoy picking out items for the children that are much less fortunate than we are that will receive our boxes. Last year we decided to do two boxes for little boys that are Ty's age. So, again this year, we chose to buy for two little boys. I browsed every shelf trying to find all the age appropriate toys. I can't help but get excited just thinking about how these little boys will react when they receive their boxes.

Later that day when Ty saw all of our toys, he was so excited. He has examined and reexamined each toy about a bagillion times. He seems to keep getting into the boxes after I've arranged everything in them. He just can't stay out of them. I noticed a chunk out of the bar of soap and I could see teeth marks. When I asked him about it, he said, "Mommy, I think it just got that way." After we talked several minutes about it not being that way when I put it in the box, he admitted trying to taste it to see what it was. We got a good honesty lesson out of the shoeboxes project too.

Ty has had to show everyone that comes to our house everything we have bought. He's been so excited about everything in the boxes. Today, I told him that we could just tell Santa to bring him a shoebox full of goodies. He said, "That sounds like a good idea to me." I looked at Ben, Ben looked at me, and we both shared the same look on our face. Boy, wouldn't that make Christmas shopping a whole lot easier. Really and truly, we could spend alot less on our children and they would be just fine.



I think this is such a great missions project to share God's love with those that are less fortunate than we are, and it hopefully teaches our own children to be very appreciative of what they have. We hope & pray that God will use our little shoeboxes to reach others for Him!


On a side note: I can't say that I've ever done much shopping in the way of clothes at Dollar General. I can now! I found some really cute Christmas sleepers and onesies for Andrew that I just couldn't pass up. I'm all for a good buy, and for just $2.50 who could pass these cute little things up. I think they'll hold up just fine for no longer than we'll need to wear them.






Mr. Andrew getting a head start on spreading a little Christmas cheer in yet another DG outfit.


Just a cute little face.

11 comments:

Julie said...

Looks like I am going to have to stop by the DG soon. Those are cute Christmas outfits!!

jeff and rebecca said...

In Mississippi there is a Dollar General (literally) on every corner! It is pretty funny some of the things you can find in there. At times it is full of real garbage and other times they have some great stuff.

Christi said...

I love the onesies! I am going to have to find a DG around here. I don't know if i've ever seen one other than one that is about 30 minutes away! Andrew is getting so big!

Heather said...

Cute Mendy!! Andrew is a cute little chubby thing.

Beth said...

We are working on our shoeboxes right now...John Luke is "helping" me pack things in each one. {Or un-pack things. But he thinks he's helping so that's okay}. I think when he gets a little older he really will enjoy this project. I agree, I get soooo excited thinking about each little boy and girl getting their shoebox. Can you imagine the smile on their face and the joy in their heart?!! It makes it all so worth it!!!!!

Andrew is getting to look more like Ty. Especially in that last picture. I love the DG outfits! I do a lot of shopping in the DG...nothing beats a great deal!

Michelle said...

Here we have tons of DG and another store called Deals, both of which are only a minute or so away from me. I have been in there for some dog treats and things and have been noticing (since being pregnant) that they really do have some cute outfits for babies! Especially , like you said, since they only wear them a few times!! Anyway, those are too cute! I think little Andrew is just adorable, he looks just like you! I can see a little of Ben, but he definitely looks like you, especially in the pictures with you holding him! Those are some very good pictures of you and him, you look great! Good luck going back to work, I know it will be hard and I'll be saying prayers for you!! Also, I meant to post to you on /veteran's Day to tell you, Ben and your family Thank You for your service to our country! I can't tell you and Ben enough how much I truly appreciate the service he has done for all of us!! He is a blessing!

Lori said...

We're excited about our shoeboxes too. I think we're going to do little boys Jack's age too. Should be lots of fun. Cute clothes.

Christy said...

My mother does the shoeboxes too. She always gets very excited about it. I think it is a great way to spread the love!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Joy and Kristen I bought a nautica swimsuit at DG for $18.00. Each piece still had the original tag of $40.00. It's really cute too. One of my favorites! I've missed the little man this week. He's cute enough to eat up. Maybe in 3 more weeks I can make up for lost time. Kel

Ashley said...

Mendy! I can not get over how fast little Andrew has grown! SO CUTE!!! Thanks for sharing your good deal! I'm off to the DG tomorrow for Eli! :) Also...I had a revelation one night about the Polar Express. Suzanne Cotton took her boys last year, and she was the one telling me about it...just in case you need more info-she'll know! :) Hope we can get together soon!

The Wilson's said...

What a bargain! I wouldn't have passed up a deal like that either. Andrew looks so cute, he is really getting big.