Monday, December 15, 2008

The Things We Do For Our Kids......


Eversince the first inflatable went up at the Butler's "Christmas City", Ty has been saying he wanted "that" at his house. I hated to break the news to him that we would never have that amount of stuff in our yard. We've never had outdoor decorations until last year. We did get two lighted deer to put in our front yard. I guess he thinks he can keep asking and we'll keep adding. Well, everytime we're on 55, he talks about "The Butlers." The other day he asked if we could just have one of the blow-ups. Again, I told him that we were not buying that stuff to put in our yard. He just can't figure out why I don't want all that stuff in my yard.

While in the mountains, we saw some beautiful little villages lit up in all colors. We thought we could try lighting some trees in our yard. I did give in and go to colored lights for our tree this year since Ty has said he wanted his tree to be like Nana's. She uses colored lights for the kids and that's what Ty had his mind set on. I do have to say, it looks pretty with all the different colors. We mixed it with clear and it turned out really pretty. At first, Ty wasn't so sure because he wanted all color. It didn't take him long to "realize" (his new big word) he liked it.

Yesterday afternoon Ben got outside to string some more lights! Isn't it amazing at what you'll do to make things fun for your kids? Ty loves his outside lights. And it's a good thing. Cause this is about as close as it gets to "The Butlers".

8 comments:

Lori said...

Jack loved the Butlers this year too. Thankfully, he's not quite old enough to know to ask for that at home yet! It's not going to be fun next year if he trys to "help" Mommy figure out how to decorate. We may have a little power struggle at our house over that b/c that area is ALL MINE! LOL (That is until he asks for something different)

Shonna said...

I am guessing Ben and Ty were headed in for lights when I saw them at Wal-mart yesterday. Caroline and I will have to drive by on our way to church tomorrow night to see the lights...we'll honk!

Heather said...

Shonna & I must have been in Wal-Mart around the same time yesterday. I saw little Ty and his daddy also. Praise the Lord Bailey hasn't wanted what "The Butlers" have, because it talks everything within me to put up a tree. LOL I'm glad Ty "realized" he liked what he had.

Christy said...

I think it was 2 Christmases ago when we rode by the Butler's to go to Matt's grandmother's house and Gracie asked me if that was where Santa lived:)

We have lights on our house and on the little trees in front of our house and we added deer this year. Every day when we start to pull in the neighborhood, Gracie asks if our lights are on. Then, when we get out of the car, she has to check on the deer by touching the bulbs on them. She loves it and isn't that all that really matters?!?

The Wilson's said...

Way to go BEN! I know you can't resist giving in for that sweet little fellow! We added deer to our yard also, it was alot easier than stringing icecicle lights on the house. We also put lighted wreaths on every window. I really like the change.

jeff and rebecca said...

I guess we missed out on seeing the Butler's Christmas extravaganza, however, we did get to go and tour their home at Beth Jacob's reception and Will still refers to it as "that huge fancy house". The next time you are out that way, snap a pic for Will and e-mail it to us!!!!

Julie said...

The title of your post is so TRUE!!

LeAnne said...

Savannah asks everyday to go to "the Butlers' house" and to "Snowden Drive." She loves some Christmas lights. She will look outside and say, "Mama, it's dark outside - we can see the Christmas lights!!"