Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mancil Family Shrimp Boil!

Since my Granny passed away in Feb. of 07, the Mancil family has not had the opportunity to be together again. It was way passed due, so my cousin Mike in Birmingham, Kelley, and I started talking in June about trying to get together to do something. We decided on a shrimp boil at our house so all the kids could swim. Two weeks ago we had most of the Mancil clan here and we all had a ball. There were a few that couldn't be with us, but we're definitely going to get together at Christmas so maybe everyone will be able to be here. We played all afternoon in the pool, and our new-found sport Ladderball, which is also known as Hillbilly Golf to many folks, and ate. Mike and Chris brought some raw oysters and most of the fellows enjoyed those. I think Vanessa and Jayme were the only brave females that took part. Ben got an oyster shucking lesson from Mike. My daddy and Uncle Jerry matched up in a game of Ladderball...we were a little worried things might get out of hand, but fortunately, they were on their best behavior. After we ate, we watched some old home videos of past Christmases held at my Granny's house. It was so funny to see all the old hairstyles(Mike's mullet in every video), and clothes that we wore back then. It brought back some good memories to see faces that have been gone from our family for the past several years. I know my Granny would've been proud that we could look back and enjoy some of those special times we had with her.

Chris and Jayme's two boys are Christopher and Alexander. Jeff and Tonya have the two girls: Taylor and Brooke. Ken and Amy's two boys are Trenton and Kale. And, of course everyone knows mine and Kelley's kids.

Ken wasn't able to come in from Oklahoma, Uncle Jim's family in B'ham wasn't able to make it, along with Aunt Kathy, Nikki, and Shawn from Eufaula. So, we were missing four in the cousins picture: Ken, Nikki, Shawn,& Luke.

Hopefully, we'll have everyone for our next get-together. We're looking forward to it!


6 comments:

Beth said...

Looks like fun Mendy! I'm glad y'all are able to get so many family memebers together. I've seen that Ladderball game before and wondered what it was all about. It looks fun.

jeff and rebecca said...

Ladderball is all the rage in the camping world. Every time we take our camper anywhere there is always several ladders set up and some people playing. Looks like you all had a great time. I have found that the older I get, the more important family becomes.

The Clarks said...

You are absolutely right Rebecca! I feel the same way the older I get.

Julie said...

Glad that you were able to catch us up on all your latest family activities. Family gatherings are always FUN and wonderful memories are made!! I hope that you are feeling well and I know that you can't wait for Mr. Andrew Thomas to arrive!!! AND, I can't wait to see pictures of him....I wonder if he'll be a little Ben or a Mendy?!?!?! :)

Julie said...

One more thing......I LOVE the BIG picture of Ty in the water at the beach!!! You can never go wrong with beach pictures....at least I don't think so!:) He is sooo cute!

The Clarks said...

Thanks Julie! I love beach pictures. They're probably my favorite. And yes, we are so ready for Mr. Andrew to make his arrival. I know you are so glad Mr. Sawyer is finally here. He's so sweet!!!